Nowhere is the booming growth of Asheville more evident than in eclectic West Asheville. Home to hip stores, renowned restaurants, a vibrant music scene, and every type of residence, from quaint bungalows to vertical green builds, West Asheville continues to draw a wide range of fans to its whimsical, walkable neighborhoods.
Lots to Do, See, Hear and Taste in West Asheville
Slicing through West Asheville is the vibrant thoroughfare of Haywood Road, the area’s main artery for more than 100 years. Mom-and-pop shops stand alongside an influx of newer businesses – everything from retro arcades to artist co-ops to bike and skate shops to music halls have found their way to Haywood. Even with the seismic shifts the street has seen, it still retains a small hometown air. Residents of the many West Asheville neighborhoods that border Haywood can, in mere minutes, walk to restaurants, bars, grocery stores, schools, parks and other amenities – making it all the easier to truly experience the area’s energy and sense of community.
West Asheville has a Neighborhood for Everyone
Tucked throughout West Asheville are various neighborhoods boasting beautiful homes appealing to a range of desires and aesthetics. Whether you’re looking for a green build with proximity to playgrounds for your young children, a bungalow within walking distance of after-work hotspots, or a space with easy access to greenways, West Asheville won’t disappoint. A few of its neighborhoods include:
· Falconhurst: Located north of downtown West Asheville, bordered on the east by Louisiana Avenue, on the south by Haywood Road, on the west by Mitchell and Druid avenues, and on the north by Patton Avenue, Falconhurst has continued to develop as an attractive neighborhood for families. In recent years, Falconhurst has become a more active community, thanks to the formation of a community garden by local residents.
· East West Asheville: Encompassing the area between I-240 and the French Broad River, East West Asheville indulges the greenway and park lover with easy access to the French Broad River Park and Greenway as well as Carrier Park. Homes perched along the periphery boast views of the Biltmore Estate across the river. Also nearby is Hall Fletcher Elementary School.
· Malvern Hills: This neighborhood, bordered by Bear Creek Road on the east, Wendover Road on the south, and School Road on the north, has just over 200 houses within its boundaries. It has three community-maintained landscaped islands, one with a rose garden, where residents congregate during neighborhood gatherings. The architecture is a pleasant mix of larger, stately 1920s homes, small bungalows, brick tudor cottages, and mid-century ranch houses.
· Horney Heights: This neighborhood surrounding the Malvern Hills swimming pool and tennis courts represents the quintessential small-town, tight-knit community. Populated primarily by cottages and bungalows, Horney Heights offers great access to West Asheville’s many restaurants and bars, a public library, and Vance Elementary School, but feels worlds away from the hustle and bustle.
· Morningside Park: Loosely encompassing the Morningside Drive loop, and with easy access to I-26 and I-40, Morningside Park boasts a mix of bungalows, new green builds, and stately brick homes. West Asheville Park and ball field are a short walk away.
. Craggy Park is a new sustainable community in urban West Asheville, just North of the Haywood Road business district. It consists of 45 new Energy Star certified JAG Construction homes in a low impact development. The community uses a clustered home site plan in order to create community gathering spaces and to preserve green spaces. Community amenities include a fire pit, community garden, little free libraries, lawn near a stream and walking trails. As of summer 2017, the first few homes will be hitting the market.
· West Asheville Estates: This neighborhood, bisected by the wide and welcoming Vermont Avenue, gives residents easy access to both Brevard and Haywood roads. Francine Delany New School is also located here.
For a personally guided tour of West Asheville, or for more information on real estate here or anywhere in Asheville, please contact Mike Figura at Mike@MyMosaicRealty.com or call him anytime at (828) 337-8190.