As you begin your real estate search in the Asheville area, it’s important to learn the zoning rules and regulations specific to the neighborhoods you’re interested in. The laws can be complicated and circuitous depending on the type of home or business you plan to establish; extremely helpful to the process is securing a real estate agent that knows the zoning ins and outs, and can successfully and smoothly guide you.
The agents at Mosaic Community Lifestyle Realty can help you every step of the way, fully educating you on all the zoning regulations that can affect your purchase so you’re not left with any surprises once you’ve moved in. So whether you’re thinking of a future remodel, starting a home business, or even keeping farm animals, here are some tips as you begin your search:
· If you are within a city or town that is incorporated, they will have their own planning code that trumps the county’s planning code. It is essential to figure out which you are under; the best way to do this is to ask the listing agent.
· If you’re planning to buy land to build on, or property to renovate or add onto, you will have to run it by the city. A Mosaic agent can help you craft a description of the project to submit to the city planning department.
· Did you know that both residential and commercial properties can carry parking regulations and requirements? Everything from the size of parking to curb cuts can come into play. It’s important to know what’s required before you set out.
· If you’ve decided on a neighborhood you like, find out what zoning category it falls under: single-family, multifamily residential, mixed use? These categories can affect whether or not a home business is lawful, and they can also prepare you for the possibility that the house next door could eventually be torn down and replaced with an apartment building.
· If remodeling is in your future, make sure you get the lowdown on things like how much square footage you can add on, or whether a garage addition is allowed. Even exterior paint color and landscaping can fall under zoning ordinances. Enlist a Mosaic agent to do the research for you, and you’ll be fully prepared for the rules.
· Raising farm animals such as chickens, roosters, even goats is a popular pastime for many in the Asheville area. But zoning regulations can prohibit keeping such animals in your yard. Best to find out early, so your urban farming dreams aren’t dashed!
· When in doubt, visit Asheville’s city planning department in person and get your questions answered directly, and in writing. That way, if there’s any uncertainty down the road, you can produce documentation of permissible parameters.
If you’re ready to start your search, and would like more tips like these, and guidance maneuvering Asheville’s zoning regulations, please contact Mike Figura at Mike@MyMosaicRealty.com or call him anytime at (828) 337-8190.
Search: Property for Sale in Asheville