With autumn upon us, it’s the perfect time in Western North Carolina to join in area fall harvests. Picking apples, pumpkins, grapes and the like is a fun activity for both young and old, and the Asheville area is ripe with scenic spots for such seasonal harvesting. Following are a few u-pick destinations to spend a fun-filled fall afternoon.
· Jeter Mountain Farm – This working farm 25 miles south of Asheville in Hendersonville is famed for u-pick apples, but they also offer u-pick sunflowers, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries (in season). There is a large kids play area, cider and apple cider doughnuts to enjoy after an afternoon of picking.
· Sky Top Apple Orchard – This Flat Rock orchard (30 miles south of Asheville) has an assortment of apples for picking (check their web site for a picking schedule). Set against a scenic backdrop of mountains and ponds, Sky Top also features sheep, goats, chickens and turkeys in their barnyard, as well as farm tours and hayrides.
· Stepp’s Hillcrest Orchard – If you’re looking for u-pick grapes, pumpkins and apples, check out this Hendersonville orchard. When you’re done harvesting, enjoy fresh apple cider, doughnuts and other goodies from their country market.
· Justus Orchard – This fourth-generation orchard and farm in Hendersonville offers u-pick and we-pick apples, blackberries and pumpkins. Come for the picking, stay for the fun of farm animals, a country store and a bakery.
For those of us not quite ready to let go of summer, transitioning into fall is easier with a late-season visit to one of the area’s u-pick flower farms.
· Flying Cloud Farm – This Fairview farm (19 minutes from Asheville) allows guests to pick their own flowers from June through October, for $10 a cup (cups and small scissors provided).
· The Never Ending Flower Farm – Never Ending, 20 minutes north of Asheville in Big Ivy, continues to offer u-pick opportunities through late October or frost, whichever comes first. Operating on an honor system, the farm provides instructions, vases/buckets, pruners, and several methods for self-payment.
Search: Asheville Area Real Estate